Saturday, January 8, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

This recipe comes from my friend's mom and it's an old standby around here.  My second daughter LOVES this and goes nuts when it's on the menu.  It's also my standard "I need to take a meal to a family" dish along with a nice large salad and a nice dessert.

1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 celery seed
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2+ cups cut up cooked chicken
1+ cups frozen peas
1+ cups diced cooked carrots
1 double pie crust (I use Pillsbury or the store equivalent)

Heat oven to 425 degrees F.  Melt butter over low heat in saucepan.  Add in onion to soften.  Blend in flour and seasonings; cook, stirring for 1 minute until mixture is bubbly.  Remove from heat.  Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk.  Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.  Boil and stir until thickened.  Gently stir in chicken and vegetables.  Pour into pie crust.  Top with top pie crust, flute and slit.  Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

**I've made up the filling and froze it in freezer bags making an easy freezer meal for later.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this one Ann, I recently made up a filling and froze for Tim's Thanksgiving break, I had no recipe though so next time I will do this one...I pulled the cooked chicken from a chicken cooked up for chicken soup.

    ReplyDelete