Oh gosh, this is SOOOOO good. It's got to be killer in the summer when the tomatoes are in season but even this winter, it's been fabulous!! Once again, I got it from one of those little tear out cookbooks in Family Circle
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, sliced
3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1 ready-to-use Italian pizza bread shell crust (about one pound) (like a Boboli or whatever)
3 medium-size tomatoes (about one pound), cored and coarsely chopped
1/2 lb. fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves
6 cups green leaf lettuce pieces
1/2 of a 3.5 oz. package sliced pepperoni (about 28 slices)
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Dressing: Mix tomato, oil and garlic in small skillet or saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes, breaking apart tomato with spoon. Transfer to blender.
3. Add vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar and basil. Pulse to blend. Set dressing aside.
4. Place prepared pizza shell on rack in 450 degree oven. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until shell is crisp and lightly browned.
5. Salad: Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, lettuce and pepperoni in large bowl. Remove pizza shell from oven; dice into bite-sized pieces. Add to salad. Drizzle and toss with the dressing.