from: Rachael Ray Mag. Jan/Feb ’12
1 large eggplant, peeled
salt and pepper
2 zucchini (1 lb. total)
1 large onion
1 green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5 Tbsp. EVOO
1 can (28 oz.) peeled whole Italian tomatoes, well drained and diced
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. chopped flat leaf parsley
8 oz. fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
2 1/2 Tbsp. grated parmesan , plus more for serving
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Cut the eggplant into 2/3” cubes; transfer to a colander, toss with 1/2 tsp. salt and let drain for 20 minutes. Cut the zucchini into bite-sized pieces, then cut the onion and bell pepper into 1/2” cubes; transfer to a bowl with the garlic.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Wrap the eggplant in a kitchen towel and pat dry. IN a nonstick skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. EVOO over medium heat. Add the eggplant and cook until halfway done, 8 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook until crisp-tender, 5 minutes. Transfer to a 9” square baking dish.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. EVOO over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and 1/4 cup parsley and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Spoon onto the eggplant, then top with the mozzarella.
- In a shallow bowl, toss the breadcrumbs, 2 1/2 Tbsp. parmesan and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper. In a separate shallow bowl, beat the egg. Working with 1 chicken breast at a time, coat the smooth sides with the breadcrumb mixture, then with the egg, then with more breadcrumbs. Place the chicken breasts crumb side up on a large plate.
- Clean the skillet and place over medium heat with the remaining 2 Tbsp. EVOO. Add the chicken breasts crumb side down and cook until the breadcrumbs are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Season the uncoated sides, then flip and cook for 1 minute. Transfer the chicken crumb side up to the baking dish and bake until cooked trough, about 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with more parmesan and the remaining 2 Tbsp. parsley.