Thursday, September 5, 2013

Crockpot "Refried" Beans




Oh my gosh - these are perfect!!  How inexpensive!!  How easy!!!  How yummy!!!!!!  The original recipe is from Pennies & Pancakes and I only changed it by not adding the salt as they cooked (because I remember hearing that salt will make the beans tough??) and adding it at the end.  I wasn't even home for a lot of this cooking and I cooked it on low for 4 hours instead of 2 because, well, I wasn't home in 2 hours.  :)  But still they are perfect and now I have a big batch of beans for dinner tonight and the freezer.

Crockpot "Refried" Beans

2 lbs. pinto beans
1 large onion, chopped
4 Tbsp. jarred minced garlic (or 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced)
Up to 2 1/2 Tbsp salt (wait to the end and add a little bit at a time and taste)
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. cumin
10 cups hot water

Rinse the beans in a colander.   Pick out any bad beans or stones.

Combine all the ingredients in the crockpot.  Remove any floating beans.  Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours and then LOW for 2 hours.

Uncover and remove extra liquid (I only drained off a little bit - like a quarter cup?).  Leave enough liquid to reach the desired consistency when the beans are mashed.

Mash beans with a potato masher to desired consistency.

Serve warm.  Store in air-tight containers in the refrigerator and use within 2 weeks or freeze in containers or zip lock bags for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment